Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Introducing... Yoichi!

Yes, the day has finally come where I can share our Taiko player image!  I think a lot of you probably already know that my husband is a Taiko player and heads the group Puna Taiko here in Hilo... well, actually Puna.  He started off as one of the students in this community group that mostly contained senior citizens that were also church members.  Rev. Ikeda taught the group what he knew, and then he pretty much handed the group over to my husband.  They have been around for about 10 years now and it has evolved to be a youth group and a recreational adult group.  Gee, has it really been almost 10 years?  Time sure flies.

To say that my husband loves taiko is an understatement.  He lives and breathes Taiko.  In fact, he has a bumper sticker on his car that says "Eat, Sleep, Taiko". That pretty much sums it up.  Our neighbors knows us as the Taiko house because our garage becomes a drum building, stand making, skin stretching workshop throughout the year.  Whenever he has a free moment, he is listening to taiko, reading up on taiko, watching taiko videos, chatting with the kids about upcoming performances, etc....  I guess that's how I am with craft stuff, so I can't complain.

On our first trip to Japan, we went to the Miyamoto store in Asakusa.  He was literally a kid in a candy store.. pure heaven!  After we left with several bags of supplies, he turned to me and said... "now I know how you feel when you go craft shopping".   FINALLY!  



I guess you could say my husband was the inspiration for this image.  When my sister sent me this image, he was pretty much drooling over it... so how could I not name the image after him? Yes, Yoichi is my husband's name.  I think it kinda looks like him when he had hair.. HA! (Please note that he is bolo head by choice).

So I turned to my husband for more inspiration when making this project.  We were throwing around ideas of what I could do for a project using Yoichi and it evolved to this....


He told me that the group needed a message board to hang in their store room at the church.  I had bought a bunch of $1 wipe boards from Target when I found them in the dollar bin, but never did anything with them.  So I dug around in my closet and finally found them buried in some boxes.  Yay!  The board is not very big, looks like it's a little bigger than an 8 1/2 x 11" paper.  (Sorry, I didn't measure it).

I decided to keep it simple and added a strip of washi paper to the right and then crossed over it with a red "flag" across the top.  Then I got some foam Thicker letters and spelled "puna taiko".  At first I added Yoichi over the cross section, but Yoichi himself suggested I mount him on a circle. I think he stands out much better now! Thanks Paul!

Here's a better look at Yoichi.


I guess Paul was happy with the sign because before I could even take a photo, he had taken it to the Hongwanji where they practice and mounted it in their storage room.  He had to take these photos for me.

Ok... now for more candy!  If you would like to win Yoichi, just do the following:
1.  Leave a comment below on THIS POST by  March 31, 2013 11:59pm HST.
2.  Tell me what you are passionate about!

Good luck!  Don't forget to stop by tomorrow to check out our next Chinese Zodiac installments!

12 comments:

  1. You're so right about so many of us waiting for little Yoichi! He is so adorable with his taiko...perfect for cards for the many little taiko students and fans. Great idea to use him for your hubby's taiko group board...bet he was so proud to bring it in to show the group...and rightfully so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great that your husband has a passion ~ he can truly understand your passion for crafting. & it is wonderful that he shares it with the youth! Great idea to use Yoichi on the message board!
    My passion is memory keeping & paper crafting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a great stamp! i know so many people who would love this image! i guess i have to say crafting and stamping and coloring are what i'm passionate about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great image. I can totally see it on a baby boy announcement! I'm passionate about crafting and baking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this image! Love Taiko! We have some great groups here in California. Anyways, i digress...i'm passionate about crafting and hula!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for Yoichi! He's so cute Jenny and love the message board!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so nice that your husband has such a passion for something! The message board came out fantastic! Love the colors! What a super cute stamp! I'm passionate about crafting and recently I have become very passionate about fitness:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ho!! This is awesome!! Your sis did a fabulous job. Congrats to Yoichi for becoming part of the gang. One cool looking dude.
    The board looks awesome and I'm sure the group will enjoy it. Hmmm, what am I passionate about? I used to be passionate about volleyball, but I guess now it's all about crafting, stamping, coloring and making stuff. Oh and I am passionate about buying all kinds of crafting stuff that I don't need! lol!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Yoichi and his taiko! I'm passionate about a lot of things - crafting, aikido, digital photography, my Kindle, the list goes on and on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun to name the stamp after your husband and his love for taiko! I love this image and the message board is a great project. I'm passionate about paper crafts which includes stamping!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really cute stamp! I'm most passionate about my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How cute this image is, and fun that he's named from your hubby. Love the message board! I'm most passionate about giving my son the best life I can, next of course are my crafts! :) hugs, Kimberly

    ReplyDelete