Saturday, January 26, 2013

Beckoning Kitty

I'm sure you are familiar with our next image... You must've seen them in local businesses (in Hawaii for sure!).  It's Maneki Neko, or the beckoning cat.  This cat is thought to bring good luck to the owner.  There are several types and colors that bring different meanings.. For more info on the Maneki Neko, check out wikipedia here...

Our Maneki Neko has his left paw up, which I guess means he is welcoming in customers.  There are many other versions that you may see, including a black cat (health), gold cat (wealth), right paw up (good luck and wealth). 

I found this cute Maneki Neko figure to go along with my project.  I'm not sure if you can tell, but my project is a checkbook cover.  Before Christmas, my boss asked me to make her a few different checkbook covers since she had multiple checking accounts.  All she asked is that they looked different so that she would know which one was which.



Here's a better look at the cats...


And an even closer look at one of them.


And thought you might want to see the Maneki Neko up close.


Hope you like our version of Maneki Neko!  I am hoping to visit the Imado Shrine to see the huge Maneki Neko's on our upcoming trip.  We totally missed out on it last time!

So do you want to win this charming cat?  Here's what you gotta do:

1.  Leave a comment on THIS POST by Saturday, 1/26/13 11:59pm HST
2.  Tell me what good luck charms you keep... Can't wait to hear what you consider to be "lucky"!

7 comments:

  1. Super KAWAII!!! Maneki Neko-chan is definitely one of my all time favorites... can't wait till this adorable stamp is available so I can snag one for myself. I'm usually not the superstitious, but I do collect wishing boards every New Years from the Shinto shrines here to write my New Year wishes on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, this little Neko is so sweet!! I don't have a "good luck" charm that I carry, but I do have an omamori that's with me wherever I go. Does that count? :-) Loving these images Jenny! xoxo, Kimmie

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute!! I am a sucker for the "see a penny pick it up and all day you'll have good luck" or something like that. I always try to pick up the penny, lol:) thanks for the chance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this stamp is a definite must-have! I'm such a collector - among the lucky stuff I collect are omamori, miniature daruma, and of course maneki neko! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this stamp! I have to say that as I've gotten older I definitely don't have any lucky rituals...which I did. When I played sports I had all kinds of weird ones :) But I will say that I love lucky charms the cereal - does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This neko cat stamp is so cute. I really don't have any "lucky charms" probably because i gave up on them if they didn't bring me luck when I needed it! Even so, I still like the meaning behind Neko & Daruma. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. meow!! it's so cute! I can see plenty uses for this one too. I especially like how you colored this one up and used it to create the cool checkbook cover. great idea! My mom is always looking for a paper wallet for her money, maybe I'll make her one with the new set of stamps. thanks for the idea.
    hmmm... i don't think i have any lucky charms (btw, LOVED Wongsto's comment...LOL!) but I do wear a silver surfboard that says ALOHA on it, I guess it wards off the bad vibes and when I'm not wearing it I feel the difference.
    :) Hope you get to the shrine and take pictures.

    ReplyDelete